Friday, June 26, 2009

Ahhhh the paci...

***new update***  It's nap time. It's been an hour and he wouldn't sleep. So... I caved. I'm too weak! Plus Wes justified my actions by saying to wait until he is home so we can do this together and not put it all on me. I love my husband. :)

***update*** So Eli woke up at 4:47 crying "mama!" I let him cry for about 3 minutes and decided to go in there. I knew that he probably woke up, couldn't find his paci, and wasn't sure how to go back to sleep. 

I tell him to lay back down, he does, and I stand by him for about 15 minutes. He is definitely not asleep. He's rolling around, kicking his legs, clapping... haha... things like that. 

Long story short, I leave, he cries for 10 minutes, go back in, sit for about 5, he's still playing around. I put him in my bed for 10 more minutes, he turns it into a jungle gym, I put him back in bed with a blanket and a teddy bear (5:58 am), and he goes back to sleep until 7:47. (sigh...) I guess that's not too bad for the official night 1 without the paci, right??

Here is the an old picture of Eli when we would let him have his paci at any moment.

For the past several months he could only have his paci at nap time and at bedtime. Which was completely fine because he really didn't want it the other times anyway.

So this past Sunday when we went with Wes to camp I had made a list of everything I needed to take. (I love making lists!!) So after I made my all inclusive list a little son of mine got ahold of it... I tried to keep my eyes on it but it disappeared. (Eli's newest word is "trash" so many things that we need end up in the trash now...). And on that list was the paci, so without the list I totally forgot it!

Now, obviously we were prepared for Eli's sleeping to be a little crazy since he wasn't in his own bed, but eventually he did go to sleep... without the paci. Perfect!

We are home and I decided that we'll just keep on going without the paci. As soon as I laid him in bed for his nap, his hand went straight to his side and he started feeling around for his paci. It wasn't there. I told him "goodnight" and left the room. I did have to go back in since he started screaming and crying. I just told him to lay down, rubbed his back, and asleep he went. Tonight was the basically the same story. So...

Let it be known... the paci is gone! I'm going to stick to it (ahem... you too Wes :) 18 months is plenty of paci time, right?

10 comments:

C said...

Wasn't it your mother who told me the story of how she buried the paci's belonging to one of you, and she found you trying to dig them up? Or out of the trash?

Or did I dream that?

Someone told me that story - thought I was sitting in the the backyard with your parents when it happened. I DO remember putting it away in the "parent vault" for future reference, because Mackenzie was a serious paci addict.

Taren said...

Well we too have the paci (and we call it that at home too!!) at bedtime and sometimes car rides. I have said 15-18 months and it's out of here but we will see! Seems like it went okay with Eli!!! I think it's more of me thinking she needs it more than she really does ;)

Shaunna said...

The paci is still a must for us at nap time and bed time, and on long car trips....I hope Addi does as well as Eli did when we finally decide to take it away for good...Way to go Eli...Such a big boy!!

Penny Rodgers said...

WOW! What a smooth transition!

mhuffman said...

I think that is pretty good for night 1. I bet at 4 in the morning you weren't thinking so though huh?
Owen woke me up at 4 too. He is teething and nights are pretty rough right now. I am glad that you are back to blogging. We missed you!

Anonymous said...

We're STILL using the paci..more for mom's benefit than toddler's!

Susanlee said...

We call it a binky...I think Stacy used hers until she was 5, so yeah, you're way ahead of the game here.

For the record, I didn't have a binky. I had a stuffed heart and a thumb.

Lorren Says... said...

Love that Eli's newest word is trash. Z used to throw stuff away too (such as keys, etc.). At least you can throw away pacis whereas if they suck their thumb (like I did until the *cough* grade),it's harder for them to break the habit!

Jennifer said...

The first couple of nights will be rough, but just hang in there. Just throw them all out so that you aren't tempted to cave in. After the first couple of nights he won't even ask about them, I promise! I would wake for Wes to get home too though!

Yomaida said...

Oh can I just say that Nealy took her paci until she was like 3 1/2!!!! She is totally fine! She's very smart...doesn't put things in her mouth and her ortho work has nothing to do with taking the paci for so long. She just loved it and I didn't make a big deal about it! :) Good luck! Youre a great mommy!