Saturday, September 27, 2008

I have a dent in my forehead

Did you know that? I've had it ever since I was little. Somehow I was born without the innate reflex (is that redundant?) to put my hands down in front of me when I was falling. It comes natural to most people, but not to me. I would fall down a lot when I was little and would smack the ground face first. And, no lie, my dad used to have practice falling sessions with me where he would push me down, gently I hope, and try to get me to put my hands down to protect my face. ...it didn't work...

Which brings me to the dent. At some point, before my bones had hardened completely (I think) I fell in the driveway onto some teeny tiny rocks. My parents picked me up as I was screaming and crying and noticed a little stone was stuck in my forehead. My mom said she just flicked it out (it didn't break the skin or anything) and there was a little indention made. She didn't think too much of it, but then as the days turned into weeks, weeks turned into months, and months turned into years, do you like that dramatic picture I just painted for you?:), the dent never went away. Here I am, 26 years old, and yes, the dent is still with me. You can actually feel a little mini cave in my skull where the rock hit.

I write this to you, not to let you in on a little known fact about my life, but to lead into what happened yesterday evening to Eli.

I'm sure I've mentioned that Eli is well into the "pull up on anything that seems stable" mode and spends most of his day crawling from one place in the house to another trying desperately to be big and stand up. Last night his focus was on one of our recliners. I love it when he decides that would be a good idea because the recliner is cushy soft and if he falls into it, it will hurt, but nothing like falling on brick or wood or something like that.

Eli had pulled up on the arm of the recliner and Wes was sitting behind him and I was sitting in the chair. I could tell that Eli's feet were a little too far back to pull off this attempt, but he was able to pull himself up anyway. Then it came time for him to sit back down. Because his feet were so far back, it was hard for him to perform a safe sit down. So, he slipped, went face first into the cushy soft chair and fell to the ground. ...only... he didn't hit the cushy soft part of the chair. He went face first into the only part of the chair that is hard: the rivets.

He let out the worst scream I had ever heard, I immediately picked him up to take a look at him, and he had a rivet sized dent in the middle of his forehead! After thinking, oh my gosh! is he ok? is he bleeding? does he have a concussion? what do I do? I have to be honest and tell you that I did think, is that dent going to stay there permanently??

After my calm panic subsided, Wes and I took our screaming child outside to get a better look at his head and get some fresh air into his lungs. The dent went away and the red spot got a little swollen so we called Nurse Hannah and Eli was fine.

I am happy to say that Eli has no dent or any type of head trauma. He was happy as a lark minutes after the injury, thanks to the one legged bird that was sitting on our fence. Eli loves birds! It's hard to see, but click on it and make it bigger to see this sweet little birdie!

All of this was happening in the midst of me trying to finish my test that was due last night by midnight. Julie and I didn't realize our online class had started until a week after it started. We didn't realize that we were doing the wrong assignment until the day before the test was due. So from Thursday night about 8:00 until last night until about 10:30 for me and 9 seconds before midnight for Jules, we had to complete 70 questions, 4 essays, and 1 application exercise.

And one last thing. Wes let me sleep in this morning. I woke up about 8:10 and I haven't slept until 8:00 since before Eli was born! It was glorious! Thanks babe!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my gosh that's too funny....i love that i can actually SEE the cute dent in your forehead! and thank goodness for birds, they have served as great distractions in our household in instances very similar!! glad you got your school stuff done!!!

sarahdodson said...

that's a great dent story. I'm sorry Eli hurt himself:(

I have a lump in my nose and my parents have 2 different stories of what exactly happened. kinda funny.

That's sweet of your husband to let you sleep in!!

Susanlee said...

I forgot about your falling down without arms thing...I'm so glad you told that story here, it absolutely makes me *howl* with laughter. I'm glad Eli's okay, he looks really sweet and disgruntled in that picture!